Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." --Nate Fisher

With LOST coming to an end this Spring 2010, it makes me worried that this last and final season, not to mention the last and final episode (scares me to think about), is not going to live up to the five years of ground-break television the show has brought.


SPOILERS AHEAD. BEWARE!

Never. NEVER. will I forget how I felt after the infamous "We have to go back!" scene between Jack and Kate in Season 3's EPIC finale, "Through the Looking Glass." Literally, I sat there for a full five minutes, speechless, thoughts racing, emotions all over the place--when Kate first stepped out of the shadows (accompanied by the classic eerie LOST soundtrack just at the right moment), my "WHAAAAAA?!?!?!" reaction was through the roof! As a viewer, my mind frantically tried to piece together explanations--"Wait, what? So they've met in the past before? But how have they never acknowledged that? Wait a minute....WAIT A MINUTE!!! What if...OH MY GOD!!" The sad part is, I knew flash-forwards were a part of the show, yet my jaw was still wide open. Now THAT's something.



Considering the agony I'm feeling now as I wait for Season Six to premiere in January, I pity those who followed the show from the start and had to wonder for half a year what horrible things brought Jack to such a state of suicidal depression, how did Jack and Kate get off the island, why are they lying, who is in the coffin (would not be answered for an entire season), who exactly is going to wonder where Kate is (the obvious initial reaction was Sawyer, but no, that would be waaaay too simple for LOST writers).



THIS SCENE is the epitome of why I adore entertainment. God bless Carlton and Cuse for creating and maintaining such a life-changing network show for me...(I decided to be fancy and make a line from Jack's monologue the link to the scene)...

"Been flyin' a lot. That golden pass they gave us? I've been using it. Every Friday night I fly from LA to Tokyo, Singapore, Sydney... heh. Then I get off and I have a drink and I fly home. Because I want it to crash, Kate. I don't care about anybody else on board. Every little bump we hit or turbulence, I actually close my eyes and pray that I can get back. I'm sick of lying! We made a mistake; we were not supposed to leave. We have to go back, Kate... we have to go BACK!"
-- Dr. Jack Shephard, LOST.


Can we please just take a minute and admire the last shot when the plane gains acceleration, engines a-blazing, and flies off--POOF! Cut to black. LOST. Granted, I wasn't too crazy about the storyline off the island, and feel the writers didn't exploit all the opportunities available to them.
Still, I trust the creators to do due diligence to the show. After all, they managed to pull off time-traveling bunnies...


SPOILERS ENSUE...
To my knowledge, the best finale to a show, ever, has been Six Feet Under's series finale, "Everyone's Waiting." I...cannot even explain to you what it's like to follow a show for five seasons, watch their lives, care about the characters, only to watch it all culminate into one six-minute montage of them dying, perfectly accompanied with "Breath Me" by Sia. Imagine that. Imagine Friends' finale ending with a montage of Joey, Monica, Ross, Phoebe (we can only hope...) dying in the future. It's unreal. I was completely caught off-guard. Still, given the subject matter for Six Feet Under, I should have expected it.

Six Feet Under series finale, "Everyone's Waiting."
--Claire saying goodbye to her family, trying to capture the moment, and Nate, her dead brother, going, "You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." Classic.



Anyway, which leads to my point/concern, can LOST top this, or at least match it?? Will it do justice to the phenomenon that it has created??

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Add Video

No comments:

Post a Comment